Monday, April 21, 2008

Spoiled Silly

What a first week it has been in Iqaluit! I feel like I have been spoiled silly by everything that has been going on. Everyone has been incredibly kind and generous with their time. My new roommate picked me up from the airport for the 30 second ride home, now that's luxury! Strangers agreed to meet me for coffee several times, happy to sit down and chat with a new face. The Toonik Time Festival gave me a lot of opportunities to see how the locals celebrate the return of Spring. My new co-workers gave me a great introduction to the city and took me to some lovely places to eat. And to top it all off, I asked for some more light at work and was presented with a shiny new reading lamp today! Oh the little things that make us happy!

I have been exploring the city on my own with my camera. Photography is my preferred way of exploring and discovering a new place. It makes me pay attention to shapes, colours, and the little details I would otherwise miss. I think I'll take my time doing this. Iqaluit still feels large to me and figuring it all out too quickly will compress the whole place too fast. I like knowing that there are places left to discover.

I had a great experience on the sea ice this weekend. My co-worker Debbie and I went to see the dog-sled races which were held out on the ice. We bundled up and began the long walk which seemed to take forever in the strong winds. Luckily along the way, someone stopped and offered us a ride on their sled. See what I mean by spoiled silly?



No comments: