Saturday, April 19, 2008

Starting with Goodbye

It may seem like a good idea to start a new blog about my experience in the North with some first impressions of Iqaluit, but I am going to start this blog with a goodbye.

I left Calgary five days ago, my home of sixteen years. Almost everything about my life in Canada is in Calgary: family, friends, favourite places, and memories. Everytime I left Calgary on a trip, I knew I would return home to the same familiar faces. But knowing that I was going to a place too far away to simply return on a regular basis made it a lot harder to say goodbye this time.

Yet I do wonder if anything will really change. My family will always be there for me, no matter where I am. My friends, as busy and as far apart as we may be, will always keep in touch even if we never see each other for months on end, even when in the same city! The truth is that services like email and Facebook will let each of us pursue our own journeys while still being intimately connected with each other.

And that's why this isn't really a goodbye to my life in Calgary but rather an invitation to another window into a life long journey. Remember, if you ever find yourself wondering how I am doing, look up, and smile.





1 comment:

Kate Nova said...

Unnuksakkut!
welcome t the northern blog-osphere.
Hope you are enjoying the city so far. Yay, Toonik Tyme!